Friday, July 16, 2010

TYPHOONS ARE THE PHILIPPINES' MOST DEVASTATING VISITORS

Typhoon Conson near peak intensity on June 9, 2004Image via Wikipedia
I have been away from my keyboard for 2 days since my area suffered from power outage due to Typhoon Conson (Basyang).  July 13, (Thursday) I heard on the news that a storm was to hit the Philippine Island and  thought it would be just  like any other weather forecast that I usually hear on the news that would just pass and still seems like normal weather. I was totally surprised! It really never comes to my mind that this typhoon would be that strong and would turned out to be a deadly typhoon.  When I heard Basyang's whirling wind and power supply had been cut,  I felt uneasy because it reminds me of my experience with typhoon Milenyo a few years ago, the only difference is that Milenyo lashed the Philippines in the morning and Basyang strucked in the wee hours of the day.
The Philippines is considered the most prone to natural calamities and disasters in Asia. This is largely due to the frequent visit of strong tropical storms. An average of 20 typhoons slams this archipelago yearly. The Philippines faces the Pacific ocean that is know to be the SPAWNing  area of tropical cyclones. Several of this were so strong and devastating to the environment and the economy(which may take decades to recover). Yearly, hundreds of people died of typhoons some are by drowning and others by sustaining fatal injuries from falling structures or facilities. In typhoon Basyang's wrath, the death toll from across the Philippines according to the Inquirer.net rose to 26 with 44 people missing. Majority of the fatalities are from the area of CALABARZON.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails